Discussion: IyanifaReported This is a featured thread

Showing 9 posts
DarrenOseDii
DarrenOseDii
Iyanifa
Jan 20 2010, 4:09 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 20 2010, 4:09 PM EST
There is this new trend in the diaspora for women to go to Africa and be inciated in Iyanifa. Is this a true ceremony? or a new age thing to make money. My good friend Chief Dayo who lives in Brooklyn told me that a woman cannot be iniciated in Ifa, and the word Iyanifa comes from a women who is done with her menstrual cycle and her husband is a babalawo who has passed on to Orun. She then inherits his Ifa and could adivinate using the opele. Then Chief Fama based in California performs many ceremonies to "female" babalawo or Iyanifa. I am curious to what your insight is. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: Iyanifa
Fakayodefayemi
Fakayodefayemi
1. RE: Iyanifa
Jan 26 2010, 1:50 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 26 2010, 1:50 PM EST
Well. This is has been a topic of arguement since. There are various schools of thought here at the source. Some people say women are not supposed to be initiated into Ifa while some say they can be initiated. Since the time immemorial, we have been having Iyanifa. Please, note that Iyanifa as a term is used to refer to many women whose position as Iyanifa have different denotation. Some people are Iyanifa because, they play the role at Igbodu during Itefa, some are Iyanifa because they have the knowledge o Ifa, some are Iyanifa because they are initiated, some are Iyanifa because they receive the tittle as a chieftaincy title. Women who practice Ifa and cast Opele and Ikin have been in Yorubaland since time immemorial but few. Till today in Ibadan, we only have less than five women who can cast Opele and Ikin. And Ibadan is the largest city. Womwn who can cast Ikin and Opele are few not because it is a taboo but for many reasons which include the training which is tedious, difficult and time consuming. In fact, I know that it is not easy for women to learn Ifa (Ikin and Opele) because of time and because, they have 256 odu. But it is easy for them to learn Eerindinlogun, 16 cowries which has only 16/17 odu. Women can be initiated into Ifa. Women can cast Opele and Ikin. A woman can practise as a proffessional Ifa pries if she has time, she is serious, she can combine it with the domestic work in the matrimonial home and if among other conditions, she has a very sound retentive ability to learn by heartthe Ifa verses. 11  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    

gsoltero
2. RE: Iyanifa
Aug 5 2010, 4:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 5 2010, 4:20 AM EDT
thank you for the explanation . It should be posted in facebook since there are babalawos that are mistreating women that have an initation in Ifa as myself. my ifa family roots are from Ola, Nigeria and from Ife. we have peace in our ifa home babalawos and iyanifas working together but we are not accepted in others diaspora houses. Even more they have been working against us in order for us not to prosper. thanks again for your words of wisdom. Ifabanke 6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
DarrenOseDii
DarrenOseDii
3. RE: Iyanifa
Aug 5 2010, 7:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 5 2010, 7:18 PM EDT
After reading a book by Leonel Gamez OsheNiwo defending the afrocuban Ifa, I have to question the concept of Iyanifa. I've been studying the afrocuban Ifa Odu since being initiated and have studied many Ifa text for Yorubaland and I haven't found any Odu that talks about women being initiated in Ifa.

Does another women initiate a Iyanifa? can a Iyanifa initiate a man? If Odu isn't present in her ceremony, how can she be considered an female equivilant to a Babalawo? and what you described about of her role in the Igbodu sounds like what we in the "diaspora" call the Apetebi because on the last day of the ceremony they raise the man's Ifa and swears to honor Ifa and protect Ifa if anything were ever to happen to him. These are just question, by no means do I intend to influence anyone's opinion nor am I judging or putting for my own opinion. They are just questions to think about.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Ifabanke
Ifabanke
4. RE: Iyanifa
Aug 10 2010, 11:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 10 2010, 11:56 AM EDT
Iboru, Iboye, Iboshishe, I can understand very well your concern within this. May I say the following. Most of the babalawos made in Cuba do not have Odu present in the igbodu, but do they have Olofin. So it means by any chance that the babalawos that were initiated with Olofin are not babalawos because Odu was not there? this is a question I always had too. We women cannot see Odu or have it, but it does not mean that it is not present at the time of the initiation. We all and you should know it as a babalawo, we swear not to say what happens in an igbodu. So explanations cannot be given in here. But please think about what I have said to you. Again Ifa is for the unity and harmony of babalawos and iyaonifas, it is not for despair and segregation. Please read Irete Untelu. thanks. agbo ato. 5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
DarrenOseDii
DarrenOseDii
5. RE: Iyanifa
Aug 10 2010, 6:17 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 10 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
". Most of the babalawos made in Cuba do not have Odu present in the igbodu, but do they have Olofin. So it means by any chance that the babalawos that were initiated with Olofin are not babalawos because Odu was not there?"
With all due respect, all Ifa ceremonies done in Cuba and by the afro-cuban diaspora has Odu along with Olofin in the room. I cannot go into details of the ceremony on this website because I do not know who is who, but Odu is in the ceremony of Ifa in the afro cuban tradition. I would like to know what passage of Irete Ogbe, Irete Tentelu you would like me to read?
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Ifabanke
Ifabanke
6. RE: Iyanifa
Aug 13 2010, 3:00 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 3:00 AM EDT
Here is a link where it says clearly that only Olofin is present at the time a man initiates in ifa in Cuba. Of course is only a house in there, but a wellknown house. http://www.archivocubano.org/macua_06.html. Also I am sending you posts of a forum where they talk pro and against Iyaonifas. Your wisdom will let you know which is the truth. But at the same time a fully African priest is saying to you in this forum that Iyaonifas are for real and still you doubt it. I dont know what else to tell you. I understand that you would like to know everything deep inside the whole issue, but actually you will have to understand that our religion is still done in Africa different that in Cuba. In some places in Africa Olofin does not exist. So if you try to unite both it wont ever be possible. Africans wont abandon their culture and customs and Cubans refuse to do the same. It is an issue of respect both. This is the other link I talked to you about http://santeria.eshuomoire.com/santeria/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1312 I hope this will help. alafia and ase.... 8  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

jdouglas2
7. RE: Iyanifa
Mar 27 2014, 5:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
That is a damn shame.......we need to be working together. Do you find this valuable?    

jdouglas2
8. RE: Iyanifa
Mar 27 2014, 5:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 27 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
KEY WORD IS "RESPECT" Do you find this valuable?